Push notifications for Safari require uploading certificates to your Xtremepush project. This guide describes the full process on how to obtain and upload push certificates.
- Login to your Apple Developer account at (https://developer.apple.com/membercenter/)
- Select Certificates, IDs and Profiles
- Click the Certificates button to create a new certificate.
- Select Website Push ID Certificate and click Continue.
- Pick the relevant website ID, or if you have none you will be prompted to add one. Make a note of the selected ID and click Continue.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions to generate the certificate. Once the certificate is ready to be downloaded, note down the Certificate Name, as the name must match the entry in Xtremepush. Download it.
- Open the certificate, which will show them in the Keychain Access application.
- Select the certificate and expand it to see the key below it.
- Hold ⌘Cmd to select both the certificate and key, and export them using File > Export Items..., choosing the (.p12) format.
- In Xtremepush, Settings > Apps & sites > click on the matching website > Push Settings.
- Click on the slider to enable push notifications on Safari.
- Enter the Website Push ID (Certificate Name) noted earlier, upload the certificate
- Press Save.
User gesture required
With the release of Safari 12.1 the browser web push opt-in prompt cannot be served to users without a user gesture. This means that you will need to implement a custom value exchange to trigger the opt-in for Safari 12.1+ users. See instructions in the guide for Prompt to subscribe.
Updated 1 day ago