There may be times when it is desired to send a campaign specifically to an uploaded list of profiles. It is possible to do this when setting up an Automated user profiles import.
The final step in the import set-up process allows the selection of an API-triggered campaign. This campaign will then be triggered for the imported profiles each time the import is run.
Once the campaign has been run, additional reporting will be available on the import task page which will show how the campaign performed specifically only for the profiles within that individual import.
Can't see this feature?
This feature is not enabled by default. If you would like to use this feature, please contact us.
What follows is a step-by-step guide for setting this up from start to finish:
- Create the API-triggered campaign that should be triggered following the import.
- Create the Automated Profile import which will be responsible for importing the profiles.
- In the final step of creating the import, there is an option for Trigger API Campaign where the campaign required to be triggered following the import should be selected. Leaving this dropdown blank will not trigger a campaign.
- With a campaign selected, there are further options to set the time at which the campaign should be triggered. If left blank, the campaign will be triggered immediately following the completion of the profile import. Setting a time will ask Xtremepush to trigger the campaign at this time following the completion of the import.
If you set a time for the campaign to trigger, there must be enough of a gap between when the import starts to when the campaign will trigger to allow for the import to fully complete. If the import has not fully completed by the time the campaign is set to run then the campaign trigger will be ignored and no campaign will be sent.
If a specific send time is required ensure imports are scheduled well in advance of the campaign send.
Once the import and campaign triggers are all set up the process then runs as follows:
- The import starts at the time set in the Automated import
- The results of the import will be displayed in the Task History for that import via Data > Task History. This shows a breakdown of how many profiles were imported and grouped reasons for any failures.
- If the time for the triggering of the campaign has been left blank, the campaign will be immediately triggered following the completion of the import.
- If the time for the triggering of the campaign has been set, the campaign will be sent the next time this comes around.
Time of send
The campaign will be sent according to when the time comes around, so for example, setting an import for 3am and a send for 9am will see the import start and finish and then the campaign sent later that day.
If however the import is set for 9am and the send for 3am then the import will start and finish on the first day and the send be delayed until 3am the following day.
Following the import, unless the campaign has been set to trigger immediately, a button will appear on the import task to allow the campaign to be stopped. This gives the marketer time to check the import breakdown as described in the above step and stop the trigger from happening.
It is possible to run the import immediately, without having to wait for it’s set time. To do this, navigate to Automations > Imports and then from the Options menu click on Run Now. If a campaign trigger is set up in that automation it will be triggered following the same rules on times of triggers as described above.
Be aware that running a very large import close to the time of the campaign trigger may not complete and miss the send. If this is the case then it might be a better option to set up a completely new automation for a one-off send and simply leave the campaign trigger time set to send immediately following import completion.
For API campaign triggered by an import, all the same analytics are available by searching for the campaign via Campaigns > Existing Campaigns and selecting Analytics from the Options menu against the campaign. However, there is also more specific reporting available to show the breakdown of sends to just the Profiles in the import on any given day by finding the campaign and from the Options menu, selecting Import Triggers.
This option will navigate to the Data > Task History page with the list already filtered to show only Profile Imports for the selected campaign. It is then easy to find the task for the day of interest and select Details from the Options menu.
On this page, after the send, a breakdown is shown for the campaign engagement, failures to send and excluded users. These are grouped by category to show high-level numbers. In addition, if there are any failures then there will be an additional section for Excluded & Failed rows and a link to Generate a file to show an individual breakdown of the reasons. A new task for downloading this file will be created and the file will be available to download from here as soon as it is generated. You can also locate the Generate Excluded Users Report option within the Task column on the Task History page to access all reports.
Updated about 2 months ago